Tuesday, February 17, 2026
Google search engine
HomeLifestyleRecipesANCAP calls for an Australian ban on door handles used by Tesla,...

ANCAP calls for an Australian ban on door handles used by Tesla, BYD and others

The head of Australia’s independent new vehicle safety regulator has called for new rules banning electric door handles in China to be extended to all new vehicles in Australia.

Safety concerns led to new regulations being announced late last year, meaning that from January 1, 2027, all newly launched vehicles sold in China, and all new vehicles from January 1, 2029, will require door handles to be unlocked mechanically, both inside and out.

The new regulations are due to passengers not being able to get out of vehicles and emergency services being hampered in rescue/rescue attempts because door handles do not work without power.

To counteract this, the mechanical fuse is used, which allows doors to open when the vehicle’s power source is interrupted.

With Daily Sparkz you can save thousands on a new car. Click Here to get a great deal.

Speaking on ABC Radio Melbourne Morning Carla Hoorweg – CEO of the independent security agency ANCAP – told host Raf Epstein that the same laws should be passed here too.

“The concern is legitimate; it is an area where the government has the opportunity to intervene and prevent this from happening,” Ms Hoorweg said during the radio interview.

“The evidence that we’ve seen so far – we know the government is working on regulations, they’re part of the United Nations rulemaking process – but it’s certainly an opportunity where you don’t want regulations to be delayed while other jurisdictions are moving in that direction.”