Thursday, February 19, 2026
Google search engine
HomeLifestyleRecipesWhite House apologizes for ICE raids on factory, Hyundai CEO says

White House apologizes for ICE raids on factory, Hyundai CEO says

The US government has reportedly apologized to the automaker Hyundai After an immigration raid, 300 workers at the car maker were arrested – and the opening of a new factory was delayed.

In September’s U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) raid on a $12.6 billion (A$19.4 billion) battery plant in Bryan County, Georgia – which Hyundai is building in partnership with electronics giant LG – workers were handcuffed and forced to the ground before arrests were made.

The raid sparked protests in South Korea and heightened tensions between US President Donald Trump and South Korean President Lee Jae Myung.

President Lee described the situation as “extremely confusing” and said it was common practice to send workers to help build new factories like the one raided by U.S. ICE authorities.

With Daily Sparkz you can save thousands on a new car. Click Here to get a great deal.

“If this is no longer allowed, it will only become more difficult to set up manufacturing facilities in the US… and companies will question whether it is even worth it,” President Lee said, as reported by the BBC.

Ironically, President Trump’s administration introduced tariffs on automobiles earlier this year with the goal of encouraging automakers to produce more vehicles and parts in the United States.

The U.S. president said he opposed the raids, which Jose Muñoz, president of Hyundai Motor Company, said delayed the opening of the factory for at least two months while the company looked for replacement workers.

Mr. Muñoz described the raid as a “bad surprise” but said earlier this week that both the White House and Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp had been in touch to apologize for the raid.

In March 2025, Governor Kemp attended the opening of the nearby Hyundai Motor Group metaplant, which has a production capacity of 500,000 electric and hybrid vehicles per year to supply the looted battery plant.

As reported by the BBCThe Hyundai boss said someone “made a call and made it seem like there were illegal immigrants” at the factory, which was “absolutely not the case,” he added.

Mr. Muñoz added that Hyundai Motor Company, which includes Kia – both brands are among the top 10 most popular brands in the U.S. – remains committed to manufacturing and selling cars in the U.S. despite the shutdown.

With around 16 million sales per year, the USA is the world’s largest new car market after China.

Hyundai’s largest factory in North America is its operation in Alabama, where the Santa Fe and Tucson SUVs and the Santa Cruz pickup truck are built. The GV70 SUV is also produced for the company’s luxury brand Genesis.

None of the current Australian Hyundai models are made in the US, while the Genesis models sold here are made in South Korea. MORE: Discover the Hyundai showroom

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -
Google search engine

Most Popular

Recent Comments