Toyota states that the company has already introduced “enhanced protection measures” across its entire model range to combat the scourge of vehicle theft, but refrains from detailing these measures.
“Toyota is committed to continually improving vehicle safety and has gradually introduced advanced protective measures across its product range,” the company said in a press release.
“In 2025, Toyota has taken further steps to improve the security of several models, including the new HiLux, LandCruiser 300 and LandCruiser Prado, to provide even greater peace of mind for owners,” it continued, without providing specific information on security improvements – perhaps so as not to provide useful information to would-be thieves.
Owners of existing vehicles will not be able to take advantage of the improvements made by Toyota because, for example, they are not available as over-the-air software updates.
With Daily Sparkz you can save thousands on a new car. Click Here to get a great deal.
Currently it’s only the latest generations of HiLux, LandCruiser 300 Series and Prado that have received safety improvements, but Toyota says it plans to introduce changes to other models.
Toyota says it is also developing new factory-approved accessories, including an additional immobilizer, to combat the problem. The company says further updates will be announced “as soon as possible.”
It has yet to be announced whether these accessories will be compatible with all of its vehicles or only with those that have received the so-called “advanced protection measures”.
For owners of existing vehicles who have been the victim of theft, Toyota Australia is developing a prioritization system to ensure they receive replacement vehicles as quickly as possible, rather than being stuck in a long queue behind other customers.
Toyota Australia is calling for a ban on devices used to steal its vehicles and regulation of legitimate devices used by locksmiths, mechanics and other automotive professionals.
Working with police in Victoria and Queensland, Toyota has identified which devices are being used by thieves and made security improvements to prevent their effectiveness.
The Queensland Police Service has confirmed it has made seven arrests and laid 380 charges following a spate of thefts in Brisbane late last year.
This was a suspected car theft syndicate that targeted LandCruisers and Prados and stole 60 vehicles worth around $8 million for export overseas, including to the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
According to authorities, the stolen vehicles were accessed via the CAN bus port, allowing thieves to take control of the vehicles and disable Toyota’s satellite tracking device.
On December 2, 2025, police observed two suspected stolen vehicles entering a junkyard in Rocklea. Police then discovered a cargo container containing two stolen LandCruisers, hidden behind a facade made of car parts.
Shipping containers containing several stolen vehicles were subsequently located and seized in Brisbane and Melbourne.
MORE: Further arrests after series of thefts from Toyota LandCruiser and Prado
MORE: All Toyota HiLux • Land Cruiser 300 series • Prado




