Thursday, February 19, 2026
Google search engine
HomeLifestyleRecipesFord is ready to re-enter the sedan segment in the US

Ford is ready to re-enter the sedan segment in the US

ford could return to the US market with a sedan after ditching the traditional body style in 2020.

With the average transaction price for a new car in the U.S. now topping $50,000 and an ongoing cost of living problem, Ford Chairman Bill Ford was asked about affordability at the recent Detroit Motor Show.

In response, Mr. Ford said: “Can you design vehicles that are fundamentally more cost-effective so that you can pass that on to the consumer? And that’s what we’re working on.”

With Daily Sparkz you can save thousands on a new car. Click Here to get a great deal.

Ford Taurus/Mondeo

Jim Farley, Ford’s CEO, noted: “One of the main reasons we achieved our best sales this decade is the Maverick. Affordable versions of our vehicles are a real seller.”

Asked whether the brand might consider re-entering the American sedan market, Mr. Farley said: “Never say never. The sedan market is very dynamic. It’s not that there isn’t a market there. We just couldn’t find a way to compete and be profitable. Well, maybe we’ll find a way to do it.”

The company is currently developing a new universal EV platform that incorporates new assembly techniques to significantly reduce the price. So far, the only model whose architecture has been confirmed is a Ranger-sized pickup truck, which will start at around US$30,000 (A$44,500).

Ford sold its last sedan in the U.S. when the Fusion, a bootleg version of the Mondeo sold in Europe and Australia, ended production in 2020. Until 2019, the Focus sedan was also built and sold in America.

The Maverick is the cheapest model in Ford’s American range, with a starting price of US$28,145 (A$42,000). In contrast, Toyota USA’s offering starts at US$22,925 (A$34,000) for the Corolla sedan and Honda America starts at US$24,695 (A$36,500) for the Civic sedan.